The riverside at Castlefields

The riverside at Castlefields

Monday 16 January 2012

The Bootleg Beatles






Tom Stickley pointed out to me (at the Prince of Wales on Christmas Eve) that I hadn't written anything on my blog for ages and ages and ages . . . . (he's a fan, you see).
Indeed, it seems I haven't put anything on my blog since last August when I included the sleeve to the classic single, Orville's Song, by Keith Harris and his giant green duck, Orville. This 1982 smash had been a favourite of our dad's.
So, yes, it really is about time I added something fresh to my blog before my fans abandon me in their thousands and go off in search of a blog that is updated more regularly!
Tonight then I offer you a few paragraphs about the Bootleg Beatles.
My darling wife Carol, my darling son Tom and darling son Alex, along with dear, dear, darling friends Kerri and Julie, set off just before Christmas for that dear, dear, darling little intimate venue they call the NIA. And we all had a lovely, lovely, darling time.
This is the darling review wot I wrote for the newspapers for which I work:

The Bootleg Beatles Birmingham NIA by Phil Gillam For those of us whose love of The Beatles runs deep, witnessing a Bootlegs concert - especially if the atmosphere is right - can be akin to a religious experience. And such was the case last night at the NIA. The lads have been together since 1980, formed from the West End musical, Beatlemania, and are not only technically spot-on in terms of the instrumental sound they make, but are also often breathtakingly realistic in their on-stage personas. Having said that, Bootleg Paul last night did sometimes, during his between-songs patter, sound rather more like Ken Dodd than Macca. And the vocal performances of Bootleg Ringo sounded a little odd. But these are minor points. Over all, this was another superb show from one of the longest-lived tribute acts. From I Wanna Hold Your Hand to A Hard Day's Night, from Help to Paperback Writer, from Magical Mystery Tour to Strawberry Fields, and from While My Guitar Gently Weeps to Come Together, the band told the story of the Fab Four with temendous panache. I must have seen them at least half a dozen times over the years - in venues including Whitchurch Town Hall, Shrewsbury School, Oakengates Theatre and Wolverhampton Civic Hall - and they never fail to deliver the goods. Hey look - we're talking about the week before Christmas and the music of the greatest group of them all being performed live on stage with energy, wit and style. It doesn't get much better than this. I recommend them unreservedly. A splendid time is guaranteed for all.

1 comment:

  1. What a darling little blog you've got there. Who do you think you are? Charlie Drake?

    ReplyDelete