The riverside at Castlefields

The riverside at Castlefields

Wednesday 15 October 2014

This is the voice of the Mysterons

Long, long ago... but not as long ago as Fireball XL5 or Stingray or Thunderbirds... there was a brilliant television series called Captain Scarlet.
Of all the Gerry Anderson-produced science fiction puppet series that were so much a part of the 1960s, Captain Scarlet was my favourite.
I think it just came out at the right time for me.
I had already been thrilled and delighted by the three aforementioned puppet-populated shows, each with their very own heroes - Steve Zodiac (with his sidekick, the glamorous Venus) in Fireball XL5, Troy Tempest and Phones (and Marina) in Stingray, and the Tracy brothers and Lady Penelope and Parker in Thunderbirds.
But then came the fearless agents of Spectrum - and I was ten-years-old when this came out in 1967. The colours of the uniforms, the beautiful Spectrum Angels, the majestic Cloudbase, the exciting vehicles (SPVs and SPCs) were intoxicating to me.
I don't think I have seen a TV series since which has knocked me between the eyes in quite the same way.
Little wonder I had to get hold of the DVD boxed set. It's just a shame I don't really know any other Captain Scarlet fans to watch it with me. Oh well....

No comments:

Post a Comment