The riverside at Castlefields

The riverside at Castlefields

Saturday 14 April 2012

Merrington Green

Saturday, April 14, 2012. It was the most glorious of mornings. So, while enjoying my Weetabix, I decided to make the most of it. I would go out into the beautiful Shropshire countryside and explore.
A couple of years back, our Dave bought us a lovely book – 50 Walks in Shropshire. And although I was full of good intentions, the truth is the book was shoved into a bookcase and pretty much forgotten about. Until today!
I picked a walk which I reckoned wouldn't kill me. (Always a good start, I think). These walks are rated as one star (likely to be shorter and easier) up to three star (caution advised). Naturally I went for a one star . . . Merrington Green, not to be confused with Camberwick Green.
Merrington is a tiny village with a medieval common. It's the next village along from Bomere Heath, north-west of Shrewsbury. It was a five-and-a-half mile walk which took me almost three hours to complete, and it took me through woodland, an abandoned quarry, across meadows and fields full of cows, along bridleways with ancient hedgerow either side . . . it was gorgeous.
It was probably the longest walk I've done for years but I enjoyed every minute.
Phew! Time to put my feet up.


1 comment: